Saturday, September 27, 2008

Kansas City, Missouri


















Hello dear friends! 

Here we are in Missouri for several days. The kids are taking a nap, so I'm taking this time to blog and say hi to y'all. The kids sang at the E-Women conference this weekend, which meant we woke up at 5am to be at sound check shortly after 6am. Remember the Christian singing group, Avalon? I used to be a big fan about a decade ago ;) Anyway, the members of Avalon were at the conference and ate dinner at the table right next to us last night. I thought they looked familiar, but I had no idea it was them until later. The neat thing is: one of our boys, Martin (Uganda), gives his testimony at each concert. He quotes a song about "There are no orphans, there are no outcasts with God." It's actually an Avalon song, and he was able to meet them last night. Avalon sang the song just for him later on during their concert (we didn't get to hear it, unfortunately.)

There is so much to update y'all on but so little time! There is very little time to use the internet, though I do hop online via my ipod touch occasionally so I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. 

I am adjusting to the huge change in my life, though I miss my friends and family (obviously). But what a blessing to be part of these kids' lives. Hopefully sometime soon I can write a short synopsis of each kid so you can "get to know them." 

In the past few days, I've been to TN, IL, and now MO. I had my first host family experience in IL. I stayed with a sweet, older couple and got to ride in a red, open-air jeep. whee. Almost every night will be spent in a host family during the tour; however, occasionally we're in hotels (when we sing at conferences.) 

It's been fun learning random Nepali and Lugandan words. I've been teaching them that when I call then "pumpkin," it's a term of affection. One of the Nepali girls, Neha, was apalled when I called her pumpkin. She said, "No! I am not pumpkin!! Pumpkins are round and fat. I am not. I am not circle." haha Some of the Ugandan girls love when I call them pumpkin, and they respond with "we love you, Antie Pumpkin." (The kids call us "Antie Ashley" or "Uncle ____" It's an adjustment, since I was "Miss Ashley" all summer with my daycamp kids. I like it though.) 

Please pray for all of us: for strength and endurance. Road life is not easy; I don't know how Jay and Taylor do it. Their energy is amazing. Also pray that the kids will do their best at every concert, remembering they are changing lives in their home countries every time someone here decides to sponsor a child. And pray that God prepares the hearts of everyone who comes to hear the kids. 

We're in MO for a few days until Wed, when we head to Kansas followed by Oklahoma shortly after that.
Love,
Ash 


3 comments:

ChristiMarie said...

Ash I love reading your updates!! I am so excited to learn all that God is doing!! I love that some of the kids are calling you Auntie Pumpkin. It is so fitting. I love you and miss you a ton. I can't wait to read more of what is going on.

Anonymous said...

Traveling is exhausting! but fabulous all at the same time. I will be praying that you are being refilled as much as you are pouring out - - don't hesitate to stop along the way and just enjoy the moment, wherever you are. I know that sounds cliche-ed, but a lot of times, it's what keeps me going on the road for weeks on end... : ) That, and singing ridiculously off-key at the top of my lungs with the windows down, of course.

Marc & Amy said...

Auntie Pumpkin! Love seeing a pic and hearing an update! The kids look so sweet, and I know God is using you in their lives and in the lives of so many that you are coming in contact with. Keep us all updated! We miss you back in the 'burg! :) p.s. Caroline just started clapping!! It's sooo cute!